Read below to learn about our current volunteer needs and fill out this application to let us know how you’d like to become involved. Support the Alameda Free Library and join us today!
Please note that volunteers must be at least 16 years old. Minors must also obtain parental/guardian permissions to participate.
In-person volunteer opportunities:
Used Book Sales
Our used book sales are a major fundraising activity for the Friends and provides volunteers with a great way to meet new people, reconnect with friends, and become involved in the Alameda community.
- Books for Friends (BFF)
- The Friends has a used bookstore name Books for Friends (BFF) in the Main Library. BFF is open Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays from 12-4pm.
- We are looking for volunteers who can commit to working a regular schedule for 1-2 months at a time. Shifts are 2-4 hours in length and roles include customer service and store maintenance (shelf stocking, cleaning, sorting).
- Book Movers
- The Friends move a lot of books all year. We are looking for volunteers with large SUVs or trucks to pick up donations, move book boxes to and from storage, or help packing books for the biannual Used Book Sale at the O’Club. Please join us if you have an appropriate vehicle and can lift up to a 40-lb. box.
- Book Sorting
- We need volunteers to help us sort through book donations at our warehouse on Alameda Point. Two-hour book sorting shifts generally occur on Tuesdays and Fridays.
The Friends Cafe
The Cafe is located inside the Main Library and is currently open Monday-Friday, 12-4pm. We are planning to expand the hours soon to cover mornings and Saturdays. All shifts are 2-4 hours in length, and duties include serving coffee, tea, soft drinks, and snacks to patrons.
Communications & Public Relations
Do you have experience with public relations and communications, graphic arts, web development, or social media? Do you enjoy copywriting or editing? Apply your strengths to our Communication Committee and help us spread the word about the important work carried out by the Friends. Our Communication Committee meets on the first Tuesday of every month at 7pm on Zoom.
We are currently in need of volunteers to take on the following roles:
- Communication Committee Chairperson
- Graphic Artist / Designer
- Social Media Manager
- Marketing project management
Friends @ Home Online Programming
We continue to offer our popular Friends @ Home online programming, which involves producing monthly art docent presentations and author talks. There are many opportunities to become involved in this programming, whether in front of or behind the camera. Are you a bookworm who would enjoy interviewing authors about their latest books? Are you a Zoom whiz who likes to work behind the scenes to ensure that presentations run smoothly? Let us know how you’d like to become involved!
We have hundreds of volunteers in our organization and organizing and scheduling them for specific roles takes several people. If you have an interest in working from home while meeting new people the volunteer management is for you