Read below to learn about our current volunteer needs and fill out this application to let us know how you’d like to become involved. Support the Alameda Free Library and join us today!
In-person volunteer opportunities:
All in-person volunteers must follow mask mandates as dictated by the City of Alameda.
Used Book Sales
Our used book sales are a major fundraising activity for the library and provide volunteers with a great way to meet new people, reconnect with friends, and become involved in the Alameda community.
- Books for Friends (BFF)
- The Friends have opened a used book nook called Books for Friends (BFF) in the Main Library. BFF is open Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays from 12-4pm.
- We are looking for volunteers who can commit to working a regular schedule for 1-2 months at a time. Shifts are 2-4 hours in length and roles include customer service and store maintenance (shelf stocking, cleaning, sorting).
- Book Movers
- The Friends are moving a lot of books around all year. We are looking for volunteers with large SUVs or trucks who have two or more hours a week to dedicate to picking up donations, moving book boxes to and from storage, and helping pack up books until the biannual Big Used Sale at the O’Club. Please join us if you have a good vehicle and can lift a 50-lb. box.
- Book Sorting
- We are seeking volunteers to help us sort through book donations at our warehouse on Alameda Point. Two-hour book sorting shifts generally occur on Tuesdays and Saturdays.
- Specifically, we are seeking book sorters, book sorting shift leader(s), and a book sorting volunteer coordinator.
Dewey’s Friends Cafe
Dewey’s Friends Cafe is located inside the Main Library and is open Monday-Friday, 12-4pm. Shifts are two hours long, from 12-2pm and 2-4pm, and duties include serving coffee, tea, soft drinks, and snacks to patrons. We are currently fully staffed at the Cafe, but do let us know if you are interested in being considered for future shift openings.
Communications & Public Relations
Do you have experience with public relations and communications, graphic arts, web development, or social media? Do you enjoy copywriting or editing? Apply your strengths to our Communication Committee and help us spread the word about the important work carried out by the Friends. Our Communication Committee meets on the first Tuesday of every month at 7pm on Zoom.
We are currently in need of volunteers to take on the following roles:
- Communication Committee Chairperson
- Graphic Artist / Designer
- Social Media Manager
Friends @ Home Online Programming
We continue to offer our popular Friends @ Home online programming, which involves producing monthly art docent presentations and author talks. There are many opportunities to become involved in this programming, whether in front of or behind the camera. Are you a bookworm who would enjoy interviewing authors about their latest books? Are you a Zoom whiz who likes to work behind the scenes to ensure that presentations run smoothly? Let us know how you’d like to become involved!